Our goal is to make every person we work with a raving fan . The 4 main complaints we hear from clients who come to us from other companies are high maintenance costs, poor communication, bad tenant placements, and overall dis-organization. Check out how SHIFT is structured to address these critical areas that play a leading role in the success of your investment
Our maintenance department is not a main revenue stream, which is a huge difference from the high labor rates you’ll see elsewhere. Most places have expensive in-house maintenance employees which the company is highly incentivized to have at your property as many hours as possible – even soliciting maintenance from the tenants (say whaaat??). You’ll also find many upcharges on things such as 3rd party vendors, materials, and mileage in the fine print.
SHIFT works with one subcontracted company in a symbiotic relationship for our general maintenance needs, and has a network of other 3rd party vendors for any specialized areas (HVAC, electrical, plumbing etc). SHIFT doesn’t make a dime on maintenance unless the project exceeds $500, at which point there is a 15% GC fee. A significant portion of our portfolio consists of clients who moved to SHIFT specifically because of our maintenance structure.
There’s nothing more frustrating than an unreturned call or email. We get that… and our reviews speak for it. SHIFT has implemented systems, checks and balances to ensure you’re as informed as possible at all times (like getting notified real-time when a maintenance request is received). Trust is what keeps things running smoothly on all sides, and we understand strong communication is paramount in this business of many moving parts.
With professional photography, leasing activity metrics, thorough screening and fast response, our leasing process is top notch. While your property is listed, our systems track every detail of interest & activity – giving us quick insight to make informed recommendations to get your property leased fast. And with an eviction rate of less than 1%, our screening process speaks for itself.
Although we’re all extremely good looking, you’d be surprised that we do have flaws and make mistakes. That’s why everything we do is systematized to keep things from slipping through the cracks. Almost nothing happens at SHIFT without a checklist or process! Systems are the life-blood of our business and create a much more reliable and consistent experience for you, the customer.
Any business is simply a reflection of the people who comprise it…and if we do say so ourselves, we’ve got a mighty fine group of humans. SHIFT was born out of frustration with our industry’s practices like nickel & diming the hell out of people, corrupt incentives (like making a killing every hour we have maintenance at your house), and unethical polices (like applying rent money to fees the company will keep before applying it to the actual rent). There’s a lot of money flying around in this business, and it’s easy to manipulate more than you’re expecting into our pocket, instead of yours. We’ve worked hard to maintain a transparent fee structure, constantly strive to adapt and improve our service, and simply don’t compromise on integrity. We don’t claim to be perfect, but when we make mistakes we make it right.
- Excellent people! The people of Shift Property Management have been kind and patient with us through out this whole experience. They have answered any questions we had, resolved any problems quickly, and have have made paying rent, renewing leases, or any other assorted paper user friendly and fast. I have been renting this property for a year and half and have been beyond pleased. This is the most professional management company that I have ever worked with. I am impressed! Thanks for everything guys!
- After several years of managing my own property I discovered Shift Property Management through LinkedIn. My only complaint is not using them sooner. I have been very impressed with Sam’s communication and willingness to answer questions. They were able to rent our property very quickly and for significantly more than what I thought possible. I highly recommend them.
- I am a few months into the relationship with SHIFT, and so far I am very impressed. I was with another property management company before (my first time renting my house), and they had weird rules and less transparent pricing compared to SHIFT. It seems that the bigger PM companies are so set in their ways and systems that they develop a “one-size-fits-all” approach, which might be efficient for most people, but turned me away. From the beginning, SHIFT patiently listened to my many questions (which I thought were important to understand their service). They never got upset at me for asking questions and always took the time to explain (very important to me). If they could not do …
- I am glad we hired Shift as our property management company, I was very anxious about renting our home to a complete stranger. With us being so far away and not being able to keep an eye on it I feel so comfortable knowing that they have a very strict application process and once they get a tenant in we can review everything, ask questions (and get real answers) and be up to date with everything that goes on. I will definitely recommend Shift to friends and family!
- I have been working with Shift Management for several months now and I am impressed. I oversee a property for my mother and I live out of the community most of the year. Shift got me my expected rental, takes care of all communications with the tenant, deposits the rent into my mothers account in timely manor, and has contacted me several times to see if I am satisfied or if there is an perceived need or suggestion I could make for them to improve. The agent has been personable, responsible, and accurate with handling my mothers account. Worry free is what I wanted and so far I am receiving what I wanted.
- Since owning my rentals I have been with 3 different management companies over a period of 7 years. I believe that communication is one of the most important aspects of a business and Shift Property Management truly gets it. They understand the balance of doing whats right for both parties (tenant and owner). They not only hold their contractors work in high regard but the operations of their business as well. What I have always wanted from a management company is excellent communication, knowledge, and integrity. Thanks Shift Property Management, keep up the great work!!
Drop us a line or request your free Rental Analysis Report! We’d love to learn about your situation and see if we’d be a good fit.
701 Fulton Street W, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Monday – Friday
8:00am to 4:00pm
Property Management Grand Rapids MI
Grand Rapids is attracting national attention as one of the fastest growing real estate markets in the country, and quickly becoming a hub for the medical industry and small business. With that growth housing demand greatly increases. Being in property management we’re experiencing the forefront effects of that influx as new and existing residents’ need rental housing. With one of the lowest vacancy rate in the nation, Grand Rapids is an excellent place to invest. With higher rents, faster turnover and quality tenants that Grand Rapids is attracting, your rental property is positioned for great returns. As Grand Rapids’ choice for Property Management That Doesn’t Suck, SHIFT can help maximize your investment’s potential!